Taylors Estate Tempranillo
Additional Cases: $0
- This soft and sultry Tempranillo from Taylors will be just the ticket for that Mexican cuisine evening you have coming up with your mates, especially with some beef enchiladas. It's a multi-regional blend of McLaren Vale and Clare Valley, and shows appealing smells of blueberries, red cherries, soft spice and touches of toastiness on the nose, whilst the palate is more medium-bodied and deeply fruited, with truck-loads of cherry, raspberry and mulberry flavours, fine & talcy tannins, poised acidity, and a smooth, seductive finish. Excellent value beyond belief! 80
A variety made famous in Rioja, this is a medium-bodied with seductive flavours of blueberries, cherries and dark plums. French oak maturation provides subtle savoury, spice characters.
Winemaker Notes: Once again the fruit for this wine was sourced from both the Taylor Family Estate in the Clare Valley and a grower partner in McLaren Vale. Once received into the winery, the fruit was de-stemmed and then was cold soaked for a period of 5 days at 5•Celsius prior to being inoculated for fermentation. Once fermentation was completed, the must was pressed to 2 year old French hogsheads for secondary malolactic fermentation. Post MLF the wine was matured for a brief period in a selection of old French oak hogsheads prior to final blending and then after minimal fining and filtration, bottled in July 2016.
Wine Colour: At release the wine is a ruby red with a vibrant purple hue.
Wine Bouquet: The wine displays blueberry fruit character with hints of vanilla bean and underlying subtle cigar box and spicy oak aromas.
Wine Palate: This is a medium-bodied wine with flavours of ripe black fruit, blueberry, plums and subtle black cherry along with subtle spice and well integrated savoury French oak. There is a pleasing soft and silky texture to the mid palate and the wine has a long, persistent finish.
Cellaring Notes: This wine can be enjoyed upon release but will reward careful cellaring up to and possibly beyond 2022.
Food Match: Matches well with a variety of dishes such as:
- Chickpea & Spicy Chorizo Tapas
- Chorizo & Sweet Potato Risotto
- Hearty Veal Casserole
- Kangaroo Meatballs with Garlic and Basil Tomato sauce
- Lamb Curry
- Medicinal minestrone
- Pasta al Amatriciana
- Pasta Puttanesca
- Roasted Vegetable Pizza
- Slow-Cooked Spanish Lamb with Rosemary
- Spicy Spaghetti Marinara
- Spicy Spanish Paella
- Traditional Eggplant Parmigiana
- Vegetarian (Eggplant) Lasagne
Double Gold Medal - 2017 China Wine & Spirits Awards Best Value
Gold Medal - 2016 Royal Melbourne Wine Awards
Gold Medal - 2016 Australian Alternative Varieties Wine Show
Silver Medal - 2017 Mundus Vini International Wine Awards
Silver Medal - 2017 World Wine Championships Awards BTI
Silver Medal - 2017 San Diego International Wine & Spirits Challenge
James Halliday (2011 Vintage) says:“
A blend of Wrattonbully and Clare Valley grapes given Rolls Royce treatment in the winery. Light, bright crimson; the red cherry aromas of the bouquet are amplified on the totally delicious medium-bodied palate, with its exuberant display of red fruits, including red and black cherries, and superfine tannins.
Best Drinking: 2016Wine Companion Aug/Sept92